Kitty Litter Cake
Let’s just have a little fun on April Fool’s Day!
1 (18.25 oz) package chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 oz) package white or yellow cake mix
2 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla or white chocolate pudding
1 (16 oz) package vanilla sandwich cookies
6 drops green food coloring
1 (12 oz package) Tootsie Rolls
1. Prepare and bake cake mixes according to package directions. Any pan size can be used.
2. Prepare pudding according to package directions and chill until ready to use.
3. Crush all of the vanilla sandwich cookies in a plastic bag, using a rolling pin, until crumbs are fine to small pieces. Reserve ½ cup of these crumbs in a small bowl. Add food coloring to the reserved crumbs and mix.
4. Wash and dry a new cat litter pan. If desired, an unscented plastic litter liner may be placed in the litter pan. Also wash a new litter scoop for scooping and serving.
5. When cakes have cooled, cut the cakes into very small pieces while still in the baking pan. Dump the small cake pieces from both cakes into cat litter pan. Add the vanilla pudding to the cake pieces in the pan and stir.
6. Add about half the cookie crumbs to the cake and pudding mix and continue to stir. Distribute this mixture evenly across the litter pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining cookie crumbs. Next, sprinkle the reserved cookie crumbs with green food coloring over the cake.
7. Place Tootsie Rolls, wrappers removed, on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, rotate the plate, and microwave for an additional 30 seconds. The Tootsie Rolls should be soft and pliable when removed from the microwave. Stretch Tootsie Rolls slightly and pinch the ends of the candy. Drop the candies on the cake in random places.
8. Refrigerate until ready to serve.